Thursday, April 10, 2008

Use a photo filer

I like using my D-SLR. It give me more control over the pictures I take, and it lets me use a wide array of lenses for different uses. These lenses can be quite expensive, and dropping one can result in a pricey repair bill.


The key to protecting your lens is to use a filter. Some people will say that it reduces image quality, that it's a whole lot of money to spend on something you may never use. But it saved my backside.


The other day, I was swinging my camera bag onto my shoulder when it slipped, and fell three feet to the ground. This is the end result:

Thanks to my $60 UV filter, my $550 lens was saved. I took some test shots to see if there had ever been a difference in image quality with the (unbroken) filter on, and I couldn't detect anything.
So, let this be a lesson. If you ever buy a camera like this, use a filter.

No comments: